Wednesday 20 April 2011

Teenage Life in the Church

Last night I went to youth. I actually enjoyed myself. I love working with the youth. I really enjoyed being a leader at the young women's camp last year. I've always wanted to help and be there for them. Because I know that being a teen sucks at times. I know it's very challenging especially when you have a religion like mine. Although the church is very fun when you're a youth, I know it's hard to live up to the churches expectations. I remember being told as a youth, 'as youth you can be a great example for today's youth.' To have that on your shoulders is very pressurising. Especially when you've already done so many sins. I guess because I have made mistakes I want to help guide people who may have the same struggles. I remember feeling so alone and worthless when I was in my later teens. Because I had done so much, I lost respect for myself. I had no one to help me through that, I had no one to tell me I have worth and that I would get through this. It took me a few years for me to get out of that state of mind. I don't want any of the youth to go through that. I want to be able to help them and free their mind of guilt and self-loathing.
I feel that teenagers are misunderstood. Yes, teenagers can be nasty and intimidating at times. But I think adults forget what it was like to be a teenager. I mean it's a very confusing time. The're starting to get to know their bodies and mind. Their bodies are changing all the time. They are starting to go through awkward things like acne and needing to wash more. They are starting to have new feelings for the opposite/same sex. Each emotion feels bigger when you're a teen. When a parent tells them to do something, they start feeling that their parents are against them. They are not capable of seeing that it's the best for them and that their parents love them. All they see is what they want and their parents are standing in the way of that.
When a teen says they have fallen in love and an adult tells them, 'what you're feeling is nothing. You're young, you don't know what love is.' They are wrong. Yes they probably haven't fallen in love. But it doesn't mean that it's nothing. To that teen it's everything. It's the biggest feeling that they have ever experienced. It's the biggest thing that has happened to them at that point in their life. Yes when they are older they will realise that they didn't love them, but when they are a teen it is real for them. I remember some of my crushes in my teen life. I honestly thought that I loved them, each time someone new came along I fell in complete love with them (in my mind). It felt good and it was special every time I "fell in love" with someone new.
I just feel that adults need to be more sensitive with teens. So many people say that today's teens are awful and have no respect for people. But the fact is that they were the same 10 years ago and 20 years ago. It's just the way teens are. And teens can surprise you at times. If you give them the chance to.
I think I might go church on Sunday. Despite how I'm feeling at the moment.
Oh and the Bishop wants to see me on Sunday. I'm a bit nervous. :/ And to add to my nerves, I'm teaching the Young Women as a favour to my sister. 

4 comments:

  1. As a Christian youth worker (but not an LDS) I can relate to much of what you say. Thanks for sharing. It is so important to remember what the youth are going through, and how it is not simple for them even is we can see the obvious choices they need to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. It's great knowing there other people out there that feel the same way as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure exactly who said this, but if we think the teens of today are terrible, we have to remember who's raising the them.

    I completely agree with what you're saying. I have a younger cousin who's 14 and seems to be having these power struggles with her parents, but I remember how I felt too at that age, and I can understand where she's coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think sometimes people forget what they were like when they were teenagers. Also every teen is different. Everyone is different. Everyone deals with things in their own way. And I don't know what you mean by who's raising them?
    But thank you for your comment. It's interesting to hear what other people think.

    ReplyDelete